Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Made It

Well, for those of you who thought I would never post on here again, all I can say is shame on you! I just had to wait for the first few days of the week to pass. I must say that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are always the busiest days of the week, and this week was no exception. Its been a great week thus far, and I'm hoping that it continues going that direction. 
These are a few of the girls that make it happen each day. Starting at the far left is Margeret, then Chelsee, then a girl I don't really know, and finally Lauren is hiding her face behind the sign. These girls are called dock reps and they make sure that buses park in the right lanes, that the people get to the right bus, and finally they give us the okay to head out and start touring! Thank you dock reps!
This is the end of the line for Mendenhall Loop Road, and I can't tell you how many times I've visited the glacier so far this year. But this is a common occurrence to have four buses parked to unload or pickup their group. Wednesday there was an emergency and an ambulance was blocking the road and as I pulled out of line I counted 8 buses waiting to park (and that's NOT counting the four on the curb already).

This is just the other view of the first bus in the picture above, only looking at the glacier. The sign says "Welcome: Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center; Tongass National Park."
On Thursday I did a tour called Glacier & Gardens. This picture I took outside of the Rainforest Gardens' greenhouse, and these beautiful plants are called upside down trees. Basically take a large tree and stick it into the ground upside down, and then put soil in the root system and plant flowers on top of the upside down tree. Dad, does this give you any ideas? :)

A very exciting thing happened this Wednesday! Aunt Gail and Uncle Craig came into town!!!! I can't tell you how exciting it was to have family come up :) They are cruising Alaska on the Statendam Holland America cruise ship, and after talking to them I can positively report that they are having a wonderful time. It was a close call though, Wednesday we had 5 cruise ships into port, and that is about 18,000 tourist, and after a 14 hour day I was afraid I might miss them, but it worked out. :)
At the end of the three busiest days of the week, I think I came out alright on tips, and I went to pay my rent. I get to stay one more month! Lol. 
 I hope everyone is doing well down there in the lower 48. I love you all and will see most of you in just a couple of months. Time flies when it rains all the time...

3 comments:

  1. I tried the upside down tree thing but it didn't work out so well. We got a Nasty HOA letter!! Glad to see you could pay the rent. Living under the Juneau-Douglas gets a little old. Keep updating your BLOG bud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you could pay your rent! Wow scary! Wasn't there an entire vineyard in Hughson one year planted all upside down? So awful. Funny though. Love you too. Glad you can enjoy your summer and have money too. Love you, aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are looking great, Nick! I'm so glad that Gail came to visit you. I love the tour of the yards and so happy that rent was paid! You sound and look great!

    ReplyDelete